Our summer enrichment program aims to provide dermatology clinical exposure and career development for students with strong interest in diversifying the medical workforce and outreach to historically marginalized communities and medically underserved populations in Wisconsin.
- Current Phase 1 students can apply; position is paid
- Program runs for 8 weeks, generally from late May through July
- Deadline for Dermatology Diversity Program Interest Survey for Summer 2023 is January 13, 2023; applications will be considered on a rolling basis
- Program includes exposure to all aspects of clinical dermatology, including medical, surgical, and laboratory
- Provides opportunity to explore candidate’s specific medical interest, which may include project or presentation
- Program includes one-on-one mentorship with dermatology faculty
- Opportunity to attend clinical lectures
How to Apply
- Applications are closed for the Summer 2023 program.
- Submitted applications will be reviewed starting December 2022
- Respond to the Dermatology Diversity Program Interest Survey (Deadline for Summer 2023 is January 13, 2023 or until all positions are filled).
- Applications may be submitted beginning December 1, 2022 and decisions may be made as applications are received
“Participating in the Dermatology UIM Scholars Program was such an incredible experience where I was able to learn about every aspect of dermatology. I ended the program feeling like I had a much deeper understanding of the field, and also gained mentors and friends who will support me in my future endeavors, regardless of what they might be.” – Alexa Figueroa Baiges, Dermatology Diversity Scholar 2022
“I enjoyed every aspect of the Dermatology UIM Scholars Program this past summer. I was able to get early insight into the field of dermatology, while also developing great connections within the department and with the other UIM Scholars.” – Santanna Patterson, Dermatology Diversity Scholar 2022
“The Dermatology UIM Scholars program allowed me to explore the field of dermatology, find my interests, and create great relationships at UWSMPH. The people here really care, and the program is excellent. I would do it all over again!” – Matthew Mann, Dermatology Diversity Scholar 2022
Who are we looking for?
We encourage applications from students with demonstrated interest in serving marginalized communities, especially those without previous dermatology experience or exposure.
How many positions are available?
The department will offer up to three Diversity Scholars Program positions each year.
How many weeks does the Dermatology Diversity program last?
The program lasts 8 weeks during the summer break between May and August.
Does the Diversity Scholars Program pay?
Accepted Diversity Scholars are paid a stipend of $400/week.
Who do I contact with questions?
To HealOur Mission